Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Worth a shot! and, more on setting up a Web 2.0 classroom!

I was hoping I could embed this YouTube video of Alan November talking about learning so I could show it here at school, but alas, no go. I encourage you to revisit my blog and watch from home. As always, he makes some really good points.

As our kids go online, the ability to sift through information is key. My gosh, I am feeling that way JUST about the multitude of information I am finding out about Web 2.0 - a topic I am keenly interested in pursuing. How must a student feel when he is sent to the web to find out information on a topic in social studies or science? What "filtering" skills have we taught? How can we help students manage the information?



Looking at moving students into a Web 2.0 classroom, we are faced with a number of tools. We have to determine which is the right tool for us. I working on a site that discuses the different uses of blogs, wikis, and social networks. I question why we would ever set up individual blogging accounts for students. Why wouldn't we just use the blogs that are part of a social network. Don't we want to try and keep the tools manageable and in one place? I would love to be a part of a conversation about this - be it online or face-to-face.

No comments:

Post a Comment